An overnight introduction to bikepacking along the Northern Central Railroad Trail
*SOLD OUT FOR 2023*
June 3rd-4th, 2023
Pricing: $845 per person
($100 Single Occupancy Supplement)
$300 refundable deposit due now, full payment due 60 days before tour start.
Please review our cancellation policy before booking.
Distance, Parcours, and Accommodation
41 miles daily, 2 days, gentle terrain, gravel surface
- Daily baggage transfer
- Hotel Accommodation
- Fully guided tour with two (2) guides
- Free pre-tour consultation to make sure you are ready to go
- All meals (5) and riding snacks/drinks
- Gear checklist
- Sag support in case of bike breakdown
- Assistance with cycling gear and setup
- Blaze Adventure Tours tri-blend T-shirt and water bottle
What You Need:
- Bicycle – Recommended minimum tire width of 32mm or 1.5 inches. (Need help bringing your own bike? We will handle the logistics and facilitate rentals)
- To complete this trip you should be able to ride comfortably for a minimum of 3 hours on the bike you intend to bring. Make sure to practice on similar terrain. We are happy to give advice on how to prepare if you need a bit more bike experience.
The Northern Central Railroad Trail (AKA the NCR Trail or the Torrey C Brown Rail Trail) runs from near Hunt Valley, Maryland to York, Pennsylvania. Before being converted for recreation, the railroad operated here for 140 years. The railway serviced the Baltimore, York and Harrisburg areas carrying both passengers and freight. During the Civil War, the Pennsylvania Railroad was an important part of carrying soldiers and supplies in the area.
The mostly shaded route has riverside views, runs through Gunpowder Falls state park, and offers a great venue for a beginners gravel bike tour. The NCR trail provides recreation for many locals who use the gently sloped trails for a variety of activities. You’ll be sure to see walkers, runners, cyclists, fishermen, and even tubers on your trip. Keep your eyes peeled for the coal powered historic train that runs on a section of old tracks on the Pennsylvania side of the trail.
What You’ll Love
While the terrain is not difficult, the views are still incredible. The NCR takes our group along rivers, through state parks, and right by the main streets of several cute small towns. The relaxed mileage and nature of this trip allows for riders of all skill levels to enjoy the route and have time for exploring.
Day 1 – 41 miles: Day 1 starts at Torrey C Brown Trail Parking Lot 1, just outside of Hunt Valley, MD The group will assemble just outside the entrance for our signature pancake breakfast. From there we will begin our trip riding North towards Pennsylvania. We will stop for lunch in New Freedom at mile marker 21. The last 20 miles are mostly downhill to York, PA. We will check into our hotel before enjoying an afternoon and evening out on the town.
Day 2 – 41 miles: After a good night’s rest we head back to the start! Our morning’s ride back up to Freedom and down towards Gunpowder Falls state park will see us taking a packed lunch break about 25 miles in. After lunch we pick our bikes back up and finish off the trail at the start in Hunt Valley. Congrats, you’re a bikepacker now!
Interested in other tours? Click here for our offerings!
Need help training? Read our bicycle tour training guide