October 1st-3rd, 2021
Registration Closes September 1st
Join us for a 2-night, 3-day trip through George Washington National Forest and Southern Shenandoah’s backcountry! We’ll hit four summits over the course of 18 miles. Highlights include hiking to and camping on Shenandoah’s second highest peak, Trayfoot Mountain, less crowded trails, and arguably the most important, Blaze as your guide! This route is meant for people of all skill levels and would be a great introduction for first time backpackers.
Day 1 (7 miles): Meet us at the Jones Run Falls trailhead parking area near mile 84 on Skyline Drive. From there we’ll hike downstream, following the falls all the way to the confluence with the Doyles River. Then we’ll make our way back up and over Skyline Drive and set up camp along Big Run.
Day 2 (9 miles): Make sure you fill up on water the morning of day two, because we’ve got three peaks to hike! First we’ll hit Austin Mountain. We won’t bushwhack to the actual summit because of the sensitive flora and fauna, but the views from the trail are more than enough! Between Austin Mountain and Furnace Mountain we’ll hike down to Madison run to restock on water. From there we’ll hike up Furnace Mountain and ultimately make our way to the top of Trayfoot Mountain and camp at 3,300′. Make sure to get to bed early because we’ve got a sunrise to catch.
Day 3 (2 miles): Up and at ’em! We’re going to pack up camp before the sun and hike the one mile stretch to watch the sunrise over the Shenandoah Valley at Blackrock Summit. Don’t worry, hot coffee will be provided. We’ll have plenty of time to soak in the views because from there it’s only a little over a mile back to the cars!
- GPX route file from ridewithgps
- Fully guided tour with two human guides, a one guide dog
- Free pre-tour consultation to make sure you are ready to go
- Gear Checklist
- Packing and camping assistance
- Blaze Adventures tri-blend tee-shirt
- Our signature pancake breakfast on day 1
- Real coffee every morning
What You Need
- A backpack and good hiking shoes
- Camping gear – Recommended gear list included
- Food – You will need to pack meals and snacks for the trip. Breakfast is provided day 1
- The desire to challenge yourself – These days might look long. We don’t believe, we KNOW you can do it. Bring the right attitude and you will be amazed at what you can achieve
Please complete the form below to register!